Welcome to Year 4
We are your teachers for the year.
Miss Butters- Y4S
Miss Barnaby- Y4Y
School Closure- Coronavirus
Your child has come home with their Home- Learning pack due to government enforced school closures.
The pack contains the following:
-Maths- Fluent in 5, Rapid Reasoning, Times Tables, Arithmetic and Reasoning.
Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling
Geography.History, Science and art activities
Children are expected to complete the Home- Learning pack. They are NOT optional! Every child has been provided with enough work for at least 2 weeks and the situation will be reviewed as and when the new guidance from the government becomes available.
At the bottom of the page we have added some useful websites. Remember, all children have an account on TT Rockstars and Active learn to read books online. They have been provided their login details previously.
Children may also want to take some time to practice skills such as: learning to tie shoelaces and telling the time. Additionally, we have included a 'School Closure Bucket List' with some fun activities children could complete during their free time.
We sincerely hope that you, your family and friends stay in good health and look forward to welcoming everyone back to school in the very near future!
Here are some recommended websites which provide opportunities for revision and further learning:
- https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk/login?c=0 (Online reading - all children have their own login details)
- https://play.ttrockstars.com/ (Times table practise - all children have their own login details)
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers ( Songs and movements to cover a range of subjects)
- https://www.letterjoin.co.uk/ (Handwriting practise using our school handwriting style)
- https://www.gonoodle.com/ (Movement and mindfulness)
- www.kiddle.co.uk (Great for research)
- www.ictgames.co.uk (Maths and English games)
- www.snappymaths.com (Worksheets for maths)
- www.crickweb.co.uk (Educational resources for a range of subjects)
- http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/ (Great for research)
- www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2 (Resources and videos for a range of subjects)
- www.mathszone.co.uk (Maths games and activities)
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ (Maths games and activities)
- https://www.tts-group.co.uk/home+learning+activities.html (Home learning activity packs)
- https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ (Phonics games and activities)
- https://www.phonicsplaycomics.co.uk/ (Phonics comics to decode)
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/ (Free ebooks for all ages - free account needed to access these)
- https://www.mathswithmum.com/primary-maths-lessons/ (Videos and worksheets for maths)
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround (Children's news)
- http://www.pobble365.com/ (A picture a day with lots of literacy activities based on that image)
- https://nrich.maths.org/primary (Maths challenges)
- https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/ (Good for researching)
- https://www.dkfindout.com/uk/ (Good for researching)
- https://www.worldbookday.com/world-of-stories/ (Free audio books)
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyCLoPd4VxBvPHOpzoEk5onAEbq40g2-k (Joe Wicks Kids Workouts)
4S- Monday and Thursday
4Y- Tuesday and Thursday
Children will have spellings sent home every week. They will be given 1 week to practice before being tested the following week.
4S- Spellings sent home every Tuesday and tested the following Tuesday
4Y- Spellings sent home every Friday and tested the following Friday.
As a school, every pupil has access to Times Tables Rockstars. Children should use this fun, online website to practice their times tables frequently. Teachers can set children specific times tables to practice and the pupils can log in and access the Studio where their average time is calculated and they can move up and down on the display in class. The children should aim to recall ALL times table facts in less than 6 seconds per question. This demonstrates good fluency.
Finally, the children will be exposed to times tables every day in class, using Times Table Rockstar sheets which they will have 3 minutes to complete as many questions as they can.
Reading at home is so important and we are encouraging the children to read at least THREE times a week for at least 10 minutes. The longer the children can read the better as we are focusing on building stamina and focus for reading. We are stressing in class the importance of reading aloud to improve fluency. If your child is reading in their head it would be great if you could take five minutes to let them tell you about their book. Maybe you could ask them a few questions about why they think the author included certain events and what they think will happen next. Talking about characters feelings and the events will help with your child’s understanding of their current book but also help their comprehension skills.
Invaders and Settlers.
With a specific focus on History, this term the children will be learning all about the Anglo- Saxons and Vikings. When looking at the Anglo Saxons, we will look the main events, conflict, culture and pastimes and their beliefs. When looking at the Vikings, we will look at the main events, travel and exploration, conflict and their beliefs.
There will be lots of active learning and cross curricular opportunities through these topics.