Welcome to the Spring term!
3L - Mrs Limmer
3K - Mr Kightley
School Closure - Corona Virus
Your child has come home with their Home-Learning Pack due to Government enforced school closures.
The packs contain the following:
· Maths – Reasoning and Arithmetic
· Reading comprehensions
· Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling activities
· Geography/History topic based activities.
Children are expected to complete the Home-Learning pack. They are not optional! Every child has been provided with enough work for at least 2 weeks and the situation will be reviewed as and when new guidance from the government becomes available.
At the bottom of the page, we have added some useful websites. Remember, all children have an account on Times Tables Rockstars and Active Learn to read books online. You will find their login details inside their packs.
Children may also want to take some time to practise skills such as: learning to tie their shoelaces or telling the time. Additionally, we have included a 'School Closure Bucket List' with some fun activities children could complete during their free time.
We sincerely hope that you, your family and friends stay in good health and look forward to welcoming everyone back to school in the very near future!
Mrs Limmer & Mr Kightley
What are we learning?
In the Spring term, our focus is Ancient Egyptians.
We will be thinking about the following questions: Where is Egypt? Was the River Nile important? Who were Pharaohs? What were hieroglyphics? How were bodies mummfied? What can artefacts tell us about this period of time? Who was Howard Carter and what did he discover?
We have visited the New Walk Museum in Leicester. We handled and looked at artefacts and explored their Ancient Egyptian collection. We enjoyed looking at the Mummies and learnt that they were brother and sister!
Please find this term's curriculum newsletter attached below to give more information on our curriculum coverage. You will also find knowledge organisers to support your child with their learning.
Curriculum Enrichment 2019-2020:
Learning doesn't just take place in the classroom!
Flag Fen Trip - As part of our Stone Age topic, we visited Flag Fen in Peterborough.
Basketball - Specialist teacher, Coach Smith, taught basketball skills for 6 sessions this term.
Editing Workshop - Published author, Tom Palmer, led a workshop on editing our writing. We learnt how important it is to edit our writing.
New Walk Museum - As part of our Egyptian topic, we have visited this museum in Leicester.
Deer Weaving - Sue came in to help Key Stage 2 create some new deer for our school grounds. We weaved willow to create the neck of these animals. They looked very impressive when they were completed!
P.E. kits should be in school all week as our P.E. days can sometimes change or there are extra opportunities in the spring or summer terms.
|3L:||Mondays & Fridays|
|3K:||Mondays & Fridays|
Please read with your child at least 3x a week and record this in their diary. Your child will have the opportunity to bring home a library book as well as a levelled reading book. Your child can change their library books weekly on a Wednesday and can independently change their reading book as often as required. Please find attached below some examples of questions you could ask your child when reading with them as well as suggested books for the Year group.
In addition, children have access to activelearn where they can read our Guided Reading books online. Their login details can be found in their diary.
Spellings are set every Wednesday- they are practised in school but extra at home is always helpful. We have our spelling test the following Wednesday.
Maths homework is sent home every Wednesday and is due back in school the following Wednesday.
Children should also make use of Times Tables Rockstars to practise their times tables weekly. Their login details can be found in their diary. They will have a test each Wednesday. We will be consolidating the 2,5 and 10 times tables as well as introducing the 3,4 and 8 times tables. We would appreciate your support with this important area of maths.
Children can practise their handwriting at home as well as in school. We currently use Letter-join and details to log in to this have been sent home via a letter.
Here are some recommended websites which provide opportunities for revision and further learning:
- https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk/login?c=0 (Online reading - all children have their own login details)
- https://play.ttrockstars.com/ (Times table practise - all children have their own login details)
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers ( Songs and movements to cover a range of subjects)
- https://www.letterjoin.co.uk/ (Handwriting practise using our school handwriting style)
- https://www.gonoodle.com/ (Movement and mindfulness)
- www.kiddle.co.uk (Great for research)
- www.ictgames.co.uk (Maths and English games)
- www.snappymaths.com (Worksheets for maths)
- www.crickweb.co.uk (Educational resources for a range of subjects)
- http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/ (Great for research)
- www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2 (Resources and videos for a range of subjects)
- www.mathszone.co.uk (Maths games and activities)
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ (Maths games and activities)
- https://www.tts-group.co.uk/home+learning+activities.html (Home learning activity packs)
- https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ (Phonics games and activities)
- https://www.phonicsplaycomics.co.uk/ (Phonics comics to decode)
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/ (Free ebooks for all ages - free account needed to access these)
- https://www.mathswithmum.com/primary-maths-lessons/ (Videos and worksheets for maths)
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround (Children's news)
- http://www.pobble365.com/ (A picture a day with lots of literacy activities based on that image)
- https://nrich.maths.org/primary (Maths challenges)
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zg87xnb (Learning guides and videos about Ancient Egypt)
- https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/ (Good for researching)
- https://www.dkfindout.com/uk/ (Good for researching)
- https://www.childrensuniversity.manchester.ac.uk/learning-activities/history/ancient-egypt/introduction/ (Find out more about Ancient Egypt)
- https://www.worldbookday.com/world-of-stories/ (Free audio books)
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyCLoPd4VxBvPHOpzoEk5onAEbq40g2-k (Joe Wicks Kids Workouts)
- https://www.scouts.org.uk/the-great-indoors/ (Lots of fantastic activities for the whole family to do indoors)